Friday, August 15, 2008

She's Ours!!!

On August 1, 2008, Pvt Boo officially became our daughter with all the rights and privileges thereto. It was a day of celebration and thanksgiving. While we know in our hearts how hard it was for Boo's mom to release her to us, we know it was the right decision and we are rejoicing in the beauty of God's plan for her life.

The actual court ceremony itself was pretty special. I wasn't sure what to think, and didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Surprisingly, I found myself getting quite emotional as I listened to the Judge and had so many emotions running through me that I wasn't sure what to do with them. Even now, I am still "unpacking" that day and trying to cherish those memories in my heart as Mary did with her experiences with Jesus.

After being sworn in, the Judge asked us a series of questions and then talked a little bit about Boo and our duty to her. He then asked us to sign the official sheet making her our daughter. After pronouncing us a family, he gave Boo a special teddy bear. It was an amazing feeling to be on the other side of this journey.

What I found most interesting is that as we were getting ready to leave, I looked around that courtroom and had the distinct feeling that we would be back there adding more recruits to our tribe. Who knows????



Signing our commitment to our daughter.

One big family with the Judge...our dear friends the Grazors & our most awesome babysitter and fellow adoptee joined us for this special occasion. Our babysitter extraordinaire was adopted in this same building 18 yrs ago.



8 comments:

  1. Hey! I am so excited for you guys! Can't imagine the struggles for this little girl! I guess I just always felt that she was your little girl...everything else was just semantics! Yeah Goellers!!! Welcome to Private Boo - aka Miss Shiloh!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious. I still remember when we went for Elijah's adoption ceremony. I remember we all cried as the judge read out "entitled to all the rights and privileges thereof of being a son of Jack and Mary Ann". Ephesians just came alive. Love you guys and we're praying for you and all those that "are afar off that the Lord our God will call" to be a part of your family. Ben and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so happy for/with you!

    Thanks for taking the time to share these pictures and thoughts with us.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting and I'm just broken hearted that I didn't get a chance to see you all and photograph Boo again before I left CA.

    She is growing up so fast! Congrats! Give Miss Shiloh a big hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm so happy for you guys and looking forward to reading more stories and seeing more pictures of your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I found your blog through diaper swappers. She is a beauty. Where is she from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We adopted our daughter domestically. She is full African American and such a joy. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is wrong with you?! Do you even hear how ignorant & selfish you sound? That child belongs with their MOTHER & you do not become their mother just because you signed some f'n paper!

    The 18 year old child you adopted is now referred as your babysitter? And you call yourself a christian...more like a thief who steals other people's children rather than being a good "christian" and providing shelter, money, food so that the child can remain with their bio-family.

    ReplyDelete